The Amphitrite Slouch – Free Crochet Pattern is copyrighted by I Need It Crochet. You may not copy, share, change, or sell the pattern itself. Also, you may not claim this pattern as your own. All pictures contained in this pattern fall under the copyright and may not be used.
Finished items made from The Amphitrite Slouch – Free Crochet Pattern belong to you and you may do what you wish with them. If you choose to sell them on Etsy I would very much appreciate it if you credited me as the pattern designer.
Or… Just scroll down to see it for free!
I designed this slouchy hat to be a mate for The Amphitrite Cowl, but this hat is beautiful just on its own. The Woven Shell Stitch really shines in this pattern. I resisted my usual urge to throw other stitches and curveballs in there and just let the Woven Shell do its thing. The result was this lovely textured hat that’s warm and oh-so wearable.
I discovered the Woven Shell Stitch while looking through my copy of Crochet Stitch Dictionary by Sarah Hazell. It really is a fantastic stitch guide for anyone wanting to learn more awesome crochet stitches!
The Amphitrite Slouch – Free Crochet Pattern
Instructions given to fit size Small; changes for Medium & Large are in ()
S (M, L)
To Fit Head Circumference: 21” (22”, 23”)
Finished Circumference: 19” (20 ½”, 22”)
Finished Length: Customizable. Length on model shown is 10 ½”.
I used Caron Simply Soft, which is 100% Acrylic, #4 Worsted weight yarn.
Any yarn of similar weight would work.
Approximately 175 (205, 250) yds.
With 6mm hook, ch 16.
1. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across. – 15 st
2. Ch3, dc in next st and each st across. – 15 st
3. Ch1, sc in 1st st and each st across. – 15 st
Repeat rows 2 & 3 until you have 10 rows total. Swatch should measure 4 ¼” wide x 4” high.
Sk = Skip
Sp = Space
St = Stitch
Ss = Slip Stitch
Ch = Chain
Sc = Single Crochet
Hdc = Half Double Crochet
Dc= Double Crochet
BLO = Back Loop Only
Dc5tog = Double Crochet 5 Together
Dc3tog = Double Crochet 3 Together
Dc2tog = Double Crochet 2 Together
Ch1 at the beginning of a row is never considered a stitch.
Ch3 at the beginning of a row is always considered a Dc.
I have added many pictures to help you along the way.
Model above (that’s me) is wearing a size Small.
In this pattern we will be using the Woven Shell Stitch. For those of you who haven’t done this stitch before I have created a tutorial. You can find it here.
With 6mm Hook (or the hook used to obtain gauge)
1. Ch7. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across. Turn. – 6 st
2. Working in BLO: Ch1. Sc in 1st st and each st across. Turn. – 6 st
Repeat row 2 until you have a total of 72 (78, 84) rows.
Your band should be 19” (20 ½”, 22”) long x 1 ¾” (1 ¾”, 1 ¾”) wide.
Now we will ss the ends of the band together.
– Turn your work as if you are going to do another row of sc, but don’t ch.
– Fold the bottom row up so that it sits behind your top row.
– Insert your hook through the back loop of your top row and the bottom loop of your starting chain and make a slip stitch. (See figure 1)
– Slip stitch in this manner all the way across. This is the wrong side of your band. (See figure 2)
– Turn the band right side out. (See figure 3) Do not bind off. The first round will be worked into the side of the band where your hook is. We will now be working in the round, but still turning after each round.
With 6.5mm Hook (or 1 size larger than the hook used to obtain gauge)
1. Ch1. Work 72 (78, 84) sc evenly around the band. Ss to 1st sc. Turn. – 72 (78, 84) st
2. Ch1, hdc in the 1st st. Sk 3 sts, 3dc in next st, ch1 (see figure 4) Working around the 3dc you just made, work 3dc in the 2nd skipped st. *Sk 1 st, hdc in next st (see figure 5). Sk 3 sts, 3dc in next st. Ch1, 3dc in 2nd skipped st. ** Repeat from * to ** around until there is only 1 st left unworked. Sk last st, ss to top of 1st hdc. Ss in next 3 sts, ss into ch1 sp (see figures 7 & 8). Turn. – 12 (13, 14) WS
3. Ch1. Sc in ch1 sp. Sk 5 sts, 3dc in next st, ch1 (see figure 9). Working around the 3dc you just made, work 3dc in the 2nd skipped st. *Sk 1 st, sc in next ch1 sp (see figure 10). Sk 5 sts, 3dc in next st. Ch1, 3dc in 2nd skipped st. ** Repeat from * to ** around until there is only 1 st left unworked. Sk last st, ss to top of 1st sc. Ss in next 3 sts, ss into ch1 sp. Turn. – 12 (13, 14) WS
Repeat round 3 until you have achieved the desired length for your hat. I wanted my hat to be slouchy, so I worked the pattern until I had 12 rounds total (including round 1). Other ideas would be to make it a bit shorter for a beanie look and add a furry pom pom. Or, make it long like mine, but fold the band up to make it extra warm on the ears. Next we will decrease to make the top smaller and close it up.
13. Ch1, *sc in ch1 sp. Sk 1 st, dc5tog, sk 1 st. ** Repeat from * to ** until only 1 st is left unworked. Sk last st and ss to top of 1st sc. Turn. – 24 (26, 28) st
14. Follow the instructions that match to your size:
Size Small: Ch2, dc2tog over next 2 sts (dc3tog made). *Dc3tog over next 3 sts.** Repeat from * to ** around. Ss to top of 1st dc3tog. Bind off, leaving a long tail. – 8 st
Size Medium: Ch2, dc2tog over next 2 sts (dc3tog made). *Dc3tog over next 3 sts.** Repeat from * to ** until there is only 2 sts left. Dc2tog over last 2 sts. Ss to top of 1st dc3tog. Bind off, leaving a long tail. – 9 st
Size Large: Ch2, dc2tog over next 2 sts (dc3tog made). *Dc3tog over next 3 sts.** Repeat from * to ** until there is only 1 st left. Dc in last st. Ss to top of 1st dc3tog. Bind off, leaving a long tail. – 10 st
Weave your tail end through the last remaining stitches and pull tight to close. Knot it well, weave in your ends, and you’re done!
I hope you love your new slouchy hat, and I look forward to seeing all of your beautiful pictures on Ravelry!
If you enjoyed The Amphitrite Slouch – Free Crochet Pattern, you may want to check out my other designs!
And until next time… Happy Hooking! 😉